t

Thursday 29 May 2014

Book Review: The Mortal Instruments City of Bones – Cassandra Clare | Lara Pass


**** - 4 Stars
The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
Publishers - Walker Books 
The City of Bones is the first book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I'll be honest, I'm a late bloomer when it comes to this series. I didn't actually find out about it until the film came out last year and when it did, I knew I had to read the book first. It was only when I joined the 'BookTuber' community that I realised the hype around these books. I tend to stay away from YA series that get a lot of hype as they all seem to be knock off versions of Twilight (Stephanie Meyer) which – while successful – was not the best book series I have ever read either. As always, because this is a book series, I'm going to relate it to Harry Potter. (Sorry…) The reason I tend to stay away from big book series is because they all seem to be more of the same and it gets tiresome reading and reviewing books that are so much like everything else that is 'big' at the time. Twilight, The Hunger Games… they all just tend to bore me a little. The reason series have become such a big thing is
because of Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling wrote the most successful books in history and is one of the richest women in the world and because of the success of the book series, that's what all writers are doing now. Well, I say 'all writers', I mean writers of YA books specifically. I'm not saying that people can't write successful series anymore because of Harry Potter. What I am saying is, there is no point writing a book series if it is like so many other things that are being written and turned into films. I just don't see the point in it if I'm being honest.

This – while being another YA book series – is a little different. Since the release of Twilight all those many moons ago, everything that has followed after has come from Twilight. The next 'big thing' after Twilight was, of course, The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins). Both these book series were original at the time but now everything seems to be a knock off version of it. Teen romance novels became a massive craze after Twilight (Which is when I became uninterested), and dystopian novels became a massive craze after The Hunger Games (which – again – is when I became uninterested). The City of Bones is something I can't make my mind up about yet. I don't see it becoming as big of a deal as is predecessors but that's what I kind of like about it. Of course, it is kind of another 'teen romance' but the characters seem to have a bit of complexity and depth to them – which I have yet to see in other teen series.
There are reasons why I love Harry Potter and why it is my favourite book series ever. It's not because of the film series (that I found pretty average). There is something in Rowling's writing which makes you feel something. You can envision every nook and cranny of Hogwarts because her writing is so rich. There is a depth to her characters which makes you not only sympathise, but empathise with them. These are all the qualities I look for in a book. These are the things which – in my opinion – make a book good. There is something in Clare's writing which reminds me of Rowling a little. I can envision where Clary and Jace are standing quite clearly. Their relationship isn't simple and black and white but there are so many complexities to it which makes for an interesting read. Although I can never truly compare any writer to Rowling, Clare's writing skills are something to be admired and I can't wait to read the rest of the series and find out all the twists and turns. Well done Cassandra Clare on a smashing book. I give you 4/5 stars for your hard work.

No comments :

Post a Comment