t

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Book Review: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

PENGUIN BOOKS
Published by the Penguin Group
First published 1865
 Published in Penguin Classics 1998
Published as a Pocket Penguin Classic 2006
**** - 4 Stars
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is such a lovely little book. Although it is only a short story, it is highly enjoyable and the shortness only adds to the appeal of the book. I recommend this if you have been reading a lot of books or heavy books in the past few weeks - as you might well have been, considering Christmas has just passed! It is a light, refreshing book in between all those big reads you might have had so far this year. I read this book in between reading a lot of heavy books back in November (as many of these reviews have been written ahead of time for you), and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I felt like I needed a bit of a break from some of the heavier stuff I have been reading recently but did not want to stop reading completely and lose my momentum. So, I decided this would be the perfect thing to slot in.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a beautifully written story and creates a beautiful little world inside your head full of many peculiar and wonderful things. The writing is wonderful and the characters and story are all wonderfully weird and light-hearted enough to make this an enjoyable read whilst still having enough weight to make them memorable and iconic characters.
The only reason I gave this book four stars instead of five is probably because I am far too familiar with the story and I have never read the book before! Growing up, there have been many film adaptations of this book that I have been sat before and I think those films have somewhat ruined the reading experience for me as I knew the story inside out.
I do adore this book, however, and I heartily encourage you to read it.
 

*      *      *
Lots of love, Lara xx

No comments :

Post a Comment