t

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Book Review: Changeling - Delia Sherman | Lara Pass

Changeling - Delia Sherman
Published by - Viking:
A Division of Penguin Young Readers Group
**** - 4 Stars
This is a book that happened to catch my eye when I was in a charity shop a few months ago. Its an extremely beautiful book and I bought it on a whim. Just one of those, 'in the heat of the moment' decisions.
However, when I finally got around to reading it, I was glad that it did catch my eye that day. Not only is this an extremely beautiful book, but it's an extremely beautiful story. This is a story of self-discovery, independence and belief. I think it is really fitting for kids as it sends out all the right messages and is a rather empowering book.
After reading this, I felt like I could do anything. Battle a dragon maybe?...
I also love how Sherman creates a world within 'our world'. The 'New York Between' was a very interesting concept and a lovely idea that there is a world that coincides with our own. That its a place we as humans can only get to in our dream.
Delia Sherman - Author
Nothing has been overdone in this book. There is no aspect I can think of that Sherman has gone too far with. There is just the right about of action and adventure and also cunningness and bravery and the way Sherman writes, makes you feel like you are truly part of that world.
There are actually few children's stories that I actually, genuinely enjoy, but this month I seem to have fallen lucky in terms of children's books because they are all absolutely enchanting.
I can't wait to buy the second instalment of this series (luckily a short series - phew...)   and find out the rest of the story. This book will truly capture every child's imagination and I can't really fault it apart from on one thing. Originality. That is the only thing that lets this story down and is why I gave it 4/5 stars. The writing is brilliant, the story is brilliant; the only problem I have is that its a bit too much like so many other children's books I have read. Drawing inspirations from the Grimm brothers' stories, while a good idea, just reminded me of how little there is to inspire us to create a completely new world of our own invention which is what needs to be done with a children's story. They need to be transported somewhere completely new and different and unique and I feel that Changeling didn't quite deliver.
However, a beautiful book and an even more beautiful story and I'm glad to have read it.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment